General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, which comes into practice on 25th May 2018, will change how personal data can be used and will overhaul how we:
- Obtain your consent to hold your data and maintain its accuracy
- Process and handle your data
- Can be fined for data breaches or not having consent
In addition, you will:
- Feel confident that your data is accurate and is being managed securely and safely
- Have easier access to data that companies hold about you
- Be able to protect yourself and have greater rights to your data
Replacing the Data Protection Act 1988 and the previous 1996 data protection directive, which current UK law is based on, GDPR is designed to “harmonise” data privacy laws across Europe. Its provisions in the UK will be covered by a new Data Protection Bill, which has been announced by the government.
How this affects you?
As a client of Jane Smith Financial Planning, we have a legal basis for holding your data as long as you remain a client of ours. So effectively, we already have your consent as our contract (agreement) with you covers off this area. However if you prefer not to receive marketing communications, like this newsletter, please can you email Amy soon – firstname.lastname@example.org